+56 (32) 2654650
Especialidad: Gestión Tecnológica
Dr. Andrés Fuentes is Full Professor at Departamento de Industrias, Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María, Chile. The research activities are carried out leading the EC2G Group from 2010. Originally from Santiago, Chile, he obtained a professional title of Industrial Engineering from University Técnica Federico Santa María, Chile. He earned his Msc and PhD in Fluid Mechanics, Energy and Combustion at University of Poitiers, France. He worked as a Research Fellow at the BRE Centre for Fire Safety Engineering at the University of Edinburgh. Also is Maître des Conférences at Ecole Polytechnique Universitaire de Marseille, Aix-Marseille Université, France. In this institution the research activities were carried out in the Fire Dynamics Group at IUSTI. The research interests include:
- Biofuels combustion.
- Soot formation/oxidation.
- Fire dynamics and wildland fire.
- Microgravity and smouldering combustion.
- Energy conversion and clean energy technologies.
- Thermal solar energy.
- PhD Fluid Mechanics, Mayor in Energy Université de Poitiers, France.
- MSc Energy and Combustion, Université de Poitiers, France.
- Ingeniero Civil Industrial, Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María, Chile.
Selected Research Grants
Anillos as Director
- ACT210052 Understanding the Connections Between Abiotic Stress and Forest Vulnerability to Fires (2022-2024).
- ACT172095 Understanding Wildfire Hazzards Posed by Ignition in Continuous and Discontinuous Configurations (2018-2021).
Fondecyt Regular as PI
- 1221372 Revealing Sooting Propensity and Evolution of Soot Maturity and Morphology in Non-Premixed Flames (2022-2024).
- 1191758 Advancing Fundamental Understanding of Soot Formation in Steady and Acoustically Forced Non-Premixed Flames of Liquid Fuels and Biofuels (2019-2021).
- 1161453 Towards Cleaner Combustion: Characterization of the Sooting Propensity of Biofuels (2016-2018).
- 1130957 Soot Production in an Inverse Diffusion Flame: Application for Non-Conventional Fuels (2013-2015).
- 1100913 Soot Production in a Laminar Diffusion Flame: Application for Non-Conventional Fuels (2010-2012).
NSFC as PI
- Revealing Soot Chemistry Evolution in the Combustion of Biofuels for Jet Applications, NSFC (2020-2024).
Together with my research group and collaborators, I have published over 85 peer reviewed papers and more than 90 conference communications. A list of recent publications is presented below (only last 3 years):
- A comparative study on PAH characteristics of ethanol and ammonia as fuel additives in a premixed flame, Journal of the Energy Institute, 2022, 101:56-66.
- A simplified analytical model for radiation dominated ignition of solid fuels exposed to multiple non-steady heat fluxes, Combustion and Flame, 2022, 237:111866.
- Influence of the oxygen index on acoustically forced laminar ethylene non-premixed flames, Combustion and Flame, 2022, 236:111745.
- A layer-peeling method for signal trapping correction in planar LII measurements of statistically steady flames, Measurement Science and Technology, 2021, 33:015205.
- HOMO–LUMO gaps and molecular structures of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soot formation, Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering, 2021, 7.
- Soot volume fraction measurements by auto-compensating laser-induced incandescence in diffusion flames generated by ethylene pool fire, Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering, 2021, 7.
- Horizontal Planar Angular Light Scattering (HPALS) characterization of soot produced in a laminar axisymmetric coflow ethylene diffusion flame, Combustion and Flame, 2021, 232:111539.
- Modeling soot formation in laminar coflow ethylene inverse diffusion flames, Combustion and Flame, 2021, 232:111513.
- Three-wavelength broadband soot pyrometry technique for axisymmetric flames, Optics Letters, 2021, 46:2654-2657.
- Revealing soot maturity based on multi-wavelength absorption/emission measurements in laminar axisymmetric coflow ethylene diffusion flames, Combustion and Flame, 2021, 227:147-161.
- Retrieval of vegetation indices related to leaf water content from a single index: A case study of Eucalyptus globulus (Labill.) and Pinus radiata (D. Don.), Plants, 2021, 10(4):697.
- Ignition of wildland fuels by idealized firebrands, Fire Safety Journal, 2021, 120:103036.
- Impact of water-vapor addition to oxidizer on the thermal radiation characteristics of non-premixed laminar coflow ethylene flames under oxygen-deficient conditions, Fire Safety Journal, 2021, 120:103032.
- Retrieving soot volume fraction fields for laminar axisymmetric diffusion flames using convolutional neural networks, Fuel, 2021, 285:119011.
- Correction of laser-induced incandescence signal trap- ping in soot measurement in a microgravity boundary layer laminar diffusion flame, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2021, 38(3):4825-4835.
- Candle flame soot sizing by planar time-resolved laser-induced incandescence, Scientific Reports, 2020, 10:11364.
- Morphological and radiative characteristics of soot aggregates: Experimental and numerical research, Scientific Reports, 2020, 10:411.
- Effects of wildland fuel moisture content on radiant heat flux emitted by a laminar non- premixed flame, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2020, 181:115968.
- Turbulent transport mechanisms on the heat confinement in tunnels by using low-velocity air curtains, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2020, 181:115852.
- A new burner to characterize laminar diffusion flames generated from wildland fuels, Fire Safety Journal, 2020, 114:102947.
- Moisture content estimation of Pinus radiata and Eucalyptus globulus from reconstructed leaf reflectance in the SWIR region, Biosystems Engineering, 2020, 193:187-205.
- Soot primary particle sizing in a n-heptane doped methane/air laminar coflow diffusion flame by planar two-color TiRe-LII and TEM image analysis, Fuel, 2020, 266:117030.
- Ignition delay times of live and dead Pinus radiata needles, Fire Safety Journal, 2020, 112:102948.
- Forecasting emergency admissions due to respiratory diseases in high variability scenarios using time series: A case study in Chile, Science of the Total Environment, Volume, 2020, 706:134978.
- Review of recent literature on the light absorption properties of black carbon: Refractive index, mass absorption cross section, and absorption function, Aerosol Science and Technology, 2020, 54(1):33-51.
- Soot pyrometry by emission measurements at different wavelengths in laminar axisymmetric flames, Combustion Science and Technology, 2020,1-18.
For more information, visit EC2G.